Thursday, February 25, 2016

All About The Weather

Hope you guys had a great weekend. I had the busiest weekend celebrating my mom’s birthday. We had dinner at PacificTable in Fort Worth on Friday night, a brunch at our house on Saturday morning and then went to Boina Braza in Grapevine for dinner. Whew!! Can you say busy, busy, busybut such a wonderful thing spending time with family and friends. I loved every moment of it. Plus, I got to celebrate my favorite person in the whole wide world, my beautiful mamacita...and really, how cute is that cake?!?
Now let’s get to the reason we’re hereTHE WEATHER!!! I usually don’t do much for weather, but this year I wanted to try something different and really try to dive into weather since it’s in our curriculum frameworks for two weeks. I really loved teaching this thematic unit and the kids loved it too! We have been learning how the weather changes day to day & over the seasons and about reporting the weather using scientific tools to investigate the natural world. We always start any new unit with a thinking map or a schema chart. For this unit, I went with a simple bubble map.
We watched a segment from the local news station and discussed how a meteorologist predicts the weather for the week, then we made an anchor chart that I got from A Cupcake for the Teacher describing what meteorologists do. How about all that wonderful new vocabulary?!? They love saying this word over and over and OVER again lol. They really had to practice it. They kept coming up to me and asking if they were saying it right haha.
Then we made this really cute Meteorologist craftivity that we found at Mrs. Lee’s Kinder Kids and paired it with the sentence starter “If I were a meteorologist” that we got from First Grade Parade.
  
We also had the kids record the weather in their journals for 5 days. We did several nature walks to discuss the weather and see if we noticed any changes in the seasons. I was really praying for some changes in the weather lol, but no luck. We had really beautiful, sunny weather all week in February lol. It did rain over the weekend and was really cloudy on Monday.
We also made the weather craftivity Cindy shared last week. Ours is slightly different, but not much. Also, we made some wind socks. I forgot to take pictures of ours and then sent them home. These wind socks were provided by my lovely co-worker, Ms. Barajas.
 
We read Little Cloud by Eric Carle, made different things from cotton balls, then we glued this sentence under it "Once I looked up in the sky, I thought I saw a ___ but it was just a cloud." 
 
We finished up our unit with a couple of science experiments Clouds and Rain and Tornado in a Jar. The clouds and rain experiment was so cool and led to a really wonderful discussion about the density in clouds and how much water they need to make rain. We had some issues with the Tornado in a Jar experiment. I think my measurements were off and it just never formed into a tornado. This one definitely needs a re-do!!
  
Thanks for reading our blog!!
Sandra

3 comments:

  1. I had a wonderful birthday weekend. Thanks for mentioning me in your blog. Love you and your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your weather ideas! We are planning a weather unit during summer school! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete